Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Dyushbara-Azerbaijan Soup

Dyushbara
1 recipe egg noodle dough                                                                           
3/4 lb ground lamb or beef                                                       
1 1/2 Tbl. ground coriander
5 minced cloves garlic
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
Mix the meat and the next four ingredients very well.
In a large pot saute 1 1/2 onions in 3 Tbl. olive oil
Add ten cups water and enough beef bouillon to make a strong broth,
cover and simmer till needed.
Roll out the egg noodle dough on a floured surface to 1/8 an inch thick, cut into 1" by 1" squares.
Take a bean sized pinch of meat and place it in the middle of the dough fold over into a triangle and pinch the edges place on pan until ready to cook, sorry, but if you try making them bigger they will not cook right. Bring pot to boil drop in dumplings and cook for ten minutes.
Egg Noodle dough
3 cups flour
6 egg yolks
1/3 tsp. salt
1/3 tsp baking powder
beat together and then add water till a soft but not sticky dough forms let rest 20 min.
 I had wanted to have this dinner ready by 6:00 and recruited my sister to ensure that would happen. Oh, how little I knew. This recipe was absolutely delicious, which is good, because, my sister and I were at the counter 1 1/2 hours making enough dumplings for our family. I rolled out all the dough, cut it into the proper size and then we began. Piece of dough, lay it out flat, pinch of meat ,not too little, goodness, no, not too big, hmm, wish it could be bigger, fold it, pinch it, lay it on the pan. Sounds so simple, oh wait, I have to do this 199 more times. I never realized how long it takes to use up a pound of beef when you are working with pinches.
 I am so glad to have made this recipe, yes, despite all the work, the whole pot was devoured during dinner and my family said several times I should make it again for company. Yes, well it will be one of those dinner parties where you invite people over and everyone, sits around the table pinching ridiculously tiny morsels of meat into dumplings. I am sure they will find the work just as worth it as I have found it.
 Even though I enjoyed the outcome of my work,
 I am very certain that this was not daily fare in Azerbaijan, no housewife could do that: "Well, all I have done to day is weed the whole garden, milked the goats twice harvested the olives, swabbed the house, helped plow the fields, cleaned the stable, watched my 5 children, mended for them, washed for them, and now I am going to spend 1 1/2 hours making dumplings for dinner." I believe that this was a special occasion soup, but the soup makes you want to find a few more reasons for a special occaison.

1 comment:

  1. Emelie,
    This looks really yummy! I love your comments about the housewife :D... she probably had to make cheese with the milk, too!!!

    ReplyDelete