Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Belgian Cuisine

 
Gratin of Brussels Sprouts                               
                                                                              
2 lbs. brussels sprouts
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp coarsely ground pepper
1 1/2 cups cream
1/2 cup gruyere cheese
Wash and pick off tough outer leaves of brussel sprouts bring to boil for one minute, turn off drain and rinse with cold water. Simmer cream and spices till 3/4 cup reduced, mix with brussel sprouts in pan a sprinkle cheese over the top. Bake at 450 for 15 minutes.

Mashed Potatoes with Caramelized Shallots

8 medium potatoes quartered
3 shallots sliced thin
3 + 5 Tblsp. butter
1/2 cup milk
2 tsp. salt
2 Tblsp. parsley chopped
1 tsp. each nutmeg and pepper
Boil potatoes till soft, in separate pan caramelize shallots in 3 Tblsp butter-saute on high till golden brown.  Mash potatoes with remaining ingredients and sprinkle with shallots to serve.

Beer Braised Chicken

4 lbs. chicken breast chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1 Tbsp olive oil                   
2 Tbsp butter
3 shallots sliced
1 onion sliced
9 mushrooms sliced
1 tsp. sugar
3 cloves garlic sliced
3 medium carrots chopped
1 Tbsp. flour
1 bottle Belgium Beer
1/2 cup beef broth
1 generous tsp. dried thyme
1 lrg. bay leaf
1/2 cup cream
1 Tblsp. chopped parsley
 Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the oil and butter in dutch oven over medium heat. Add chicken and saute until golden brown. Remove and set aside. Add onions and mushrooms. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with sugar, add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add carrots. Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir well. Add the beer and broth and stir. Add chicken, thyme and bay leaf. Cover the pan and simmer over the low heat until the chicken is tender 40 to 50 minutes. Discard the bay leaf. Reduce sauce by 1/3 about 5 minutes. Add half and half. Simmer until sauce has thickened. Sprinkle with parsley and serve. I found all three of these recipes at http://recipes.wuzzle.org/index.php/32/268.
 I was the one who did the shopping for this meal. It was last minute and I needed quite a few things but I was in no hurry. I pottered along to the supermarket and meandered up one aisle and down the next comparing prices and creating a wish list of spices I thought I should have to be a perfect cook. When I got home it was late but most of my family was outside working so I had the kitchen to myself. I took great delight in every task. I didn't fly from pan to pan but leisurely watched the chicken pieces brown, stirred gently the golden mushrooms and onions bubbling in the delicious chicken broth. It was an exquisite delight to lift the lid and inhale the aroma of thyme, shallots, mushrooms, and beer all simmering together in a pot and then to know that as the rest of my family drifted in they too were enjoying the amazing fragrance. It was a delicious meal and we all enjoyed eating it together.
 I am very thankful for all the help my sister gave me. Belgian and French cuisine are famous, I think it is because they taste delicious but also because they are such fun to prepare.         

No comments:

Post a Comment